With 23 concerts and 2 festivals, 2014 was one of my busier years in regards to music events. Most of them happened in October and November, with a trip to Vienna, a whole week in Munich and another trip to London.
The year yielded some highlights, but also some let downs. In particular, it happened for the first time that I left a concert before it was over, just because I was so disappointed by the performance (Mando Diao). It was unbearable… Mando Diao used to be great when I saw them in 2009 and 2011, though this concert in Munich was a let down. I hope they’ll find back to their roots some day.
The brightest highlight was Bonaparte. Like Mando Diao, they reinvented themselfs, though in a good way. They’re sounding much more mature and don’t need the circus show anymore. The gig was very energetic and it felt young, fresh and right-in-your-face.
Another surprise for me was Get Well Soon. I lost my interest in them after the release of their second album (Vexations) in 2010, as I didn’t get into it. So I didn’t pay any attention to them anymore until I noticed that they were playing very close to my home. As the one time I saw them live was quite good, I just gave it a chance, bought a ticket and listed to some of their songs again. What can I say… The later albums grew on me and the show was a blast. They’re back in the game and I’m looking forward to a new gig in 2015.
A gig that I was really looking forward to was Counting Crows, as Mr. Jones is my favorite song for many many years. I knew that the band grew sick of the song and that it is kind of a lottery if they’re playing it live or not, but my hopes were up high. The club was nice and cozy. Long story short, they didn’t play the song, though it was still one of the best concerts this year. Very cool crowd and a band that had fun to play on stage. Particularly the song Rain King surprised me to be much more stirring than on the record. Here’s a recording from Amsterdam in 2003:
And well, then there were Morrissey in Vienna and Hannah Lou Clark in London. Although very different, both locations were equally stunning in their way. In Morrissey’s case, it was the pompous Konzerthaus, while Hannah performed her set in a tiny and ancient church. From both artists I would have hoped to catch some more old songs, as both were very focused on their latest releases, though nevertheless they were worth the travels without any doubt.
I could write more details about each gig, though I wanted to leave it to the highlights for now. Here’s at least a list of them all, which are also already added to my interactive map:
- 2014-03-12 - Maria Solheim - Keller Klub (Stuttgart)
- 2014-03-13 - Babyshambles - Schlachthof (Wiesbaden)
- 2014-04-01 - Mogwai - Substage (Karlsruhe)
- 2014-04-13 - Blood Red Shoes - Wagenhallen (Stuttgart)
- 2014-04-14 - Judith Holofernes - Theaterhaus (Stuttgart)
- 2014-05-02 - Marcus Wiebusch - Schlachthof (Wiesbaden)
- 2014-05-11 - Dota & Band - Tollhaus (Karlsruhe)
- 2014-06-06 - Open Air Am Berg (The Subways)
- 2014-06-26 - Pearl Jam - Wuhlheide (Berlin)
- 2014-07-29 - Get Well Soon - Tollhaus (Karlsruhe)
- 2014-08-15 - Rock’n’Heim (Skrillex, Prodigy, Placebo, Deichkind, Egotronic) - Hockenheimring
- 2014-09-12 - Kraftwerk - ZKM (Karlsruhe)
- 2014-10-02 - Anathema - Substage (Karlsruhe)
- 2014-10-07 - ASP - Theaterhaus (Stuttgart)
- 2014-10-10 - Eläkeläiset - Substage (Karlsruhe)
- 2014-10-14 - Bonaparte - LKA-Longhorn (Stuttgart)
- 2014-10-23 - Marcus Wiebusch - Substage (Karlsruhe)
- 2014-10-24 - Morrissey - Konzerthaus (Vienna)
- 2014-11-05 - Tina Dico - Theaterhaus (Stuttgart)
- 2014-11-14 - Phillip Boa & The VoodooClub - Substage (Karlsruhe)
- 2014-11-16 - Einstürzende Neubauten - Muffathalle (Munich)
- 2014-11-20 - Counting Crows - Theaterfabrik (Munich)
- 2014-11-21 - Mando Diao - Zenith (Munich)
- 2014-11-30 - Elton John - Hanns-Martin-Schleyer-Halle (Stuttgart)
- 2014-12-01 - Hannah Lou Clark - St Pancras Old Church (London)
Outlook for 2015
My concert year 2015 started with the missed opportunity for U2 and Tenacious D. The ticket site was swamped when U2 tickets went on sale, so there was no chance for tickets, even after 1.5 hours of continious F5-ing. For Tenacious D, I was simply too late. Though there are a couple other gigs for which I already managed to secure my share of tickets:
- 2015-01-31 - Get Well Soon - Wagenhallen (Stuttgart)
- 2015-02-10 - Fettes Brot - Maimarktclub (Mannheim)
- 2015-05-07 - Nick Cave - Liederhalle (Stuttgart)
- 2015-06-03 - Farin Urlaub Racing Team - Jahrhunderthalle (Frankfurt)
My fingers are crossed for new European tours by Kaki King, The Dead Weather, Sophia, Hannah Lou Clark, World/Inferno Friendship Society, Tool, Faith No More, and maybe some surprises I don’t have on my radar yet.
I’m also hoping for a more even distribution of concerts per month, though that depends on the fate of the concert gods. We’ll see!